Monday, June 23, 2014

Summary of Chapter Five of TEAM OF RIVALS

In the America of 1850, there were 23 million people living there, and it was largely rural. Three quarters of the American citizen who were aloud to vote participated in the two elections that happened in that century. Issues of politics were told to people by newspaper, because nobody had iPhones back then.

WHAT? NOBODY HAD PHONES? HOW DID THEY SURVIVE?

By reading newspapers, of course.

On their phones?

No. They used real newspapers. Made from real paper. Crazy, huh?

I'M FREAKING OUT SO MUCH I'M FREAKING IN!! AAAAAAAH!!

Anyways, what I was saying before-

AAAAH!! PAPER! WHAT'S THAT? IT'S PROBABLY SOME STRANGE, INHUMAN SUBSTANCE, AM I RIGHT? WHAT EVER IT IS, WE NEED TO DECONTAMINATE THE EARTH OF THIS HORRID SUBSTANCE BY SENDING IT TO THE MOON! AAAH! CALL THE PRESIDENT! CALL THE GOVERNMENT! CALL THE FBI! CALL WHOEVER IS IN CHARGE OF SPACE STUFF SO THEY CAN SEND IT TO THE MOON, NOT THAT I WOULD KNOW! Oh, wait. I have my phone here. I can just Google it. I'll get back to you.

-that person so rudely interrupting, there was a guy named Henry Clay. He was a big man in Congress. But not a big man as in fat, but a big man as in popular. He once saved the Union, which could be why he was a big man. (Again, not big fat, but big popular). Clay once made two resolutions. The first was that they would admit the state of California immediately, leaving the decision regarding slaver's status within California's new state legislature's borders. This decision favored favored the North. The second decision that favored the South was to divide the remainder of Mexican accession into 2 territories (New Mexico and Utah) with no restrictions on slavery. Oh, no. Here comes the-

BY JOVE, I THINK I'VE GOT IT! I THINK I FOUND WHO THE BEST SPACE LAUNCHING PEOPLE ARE! YAY! I turns out that the best paper launching people are NASA! I thought they made satellites. Even though they launch monkeys into space, they could launch paper, too, right? MONKEYS IN SPACE!! Wow! You learn something new every day! I wonder how much it would cost to launch all of that darned paper into space, maybe a few pennies? A few dollars? How much would a MONKEY IN SPACE cost? A lot? I hope not! I WANT ONE SO SO SO SO SO SO MUCH!!

That could get annoying.

At the Circuit, many of the lawyers slept two or three to a bed because there was such little room for them to go otherwise. When the court closed on Saturday afternoons, most lawyers traveled home to visit their family, to return again to the circuit on Sunday night or Monday morning, however, Lincoln didn't.

Frances Seward, the daughter of William Seward, had many nervous disorders such as nausea, temporary blindness, insomnia, migraines, mysterious joint or muscle pains, crying spells, and sustained bouts of depression. No matter how many doctors tried, they couldn't pinpoint exactly where all of those things came from.

If Kate Chase's grades were not acceptable to her father, she would have to go back to her school, Miss Haines' School, over the summer. At Miss Haines' School, there was a strict schedule. They rose at 6 am and studied for an hour and a half. After that, they would take a walk outside (no skipping) until breakfast. After breakfast, there were classes like literature, french, Latin, English grammar, science, elocution (not electrocution), piano and dancing.

Well, I guess that's it. I made it all the way through with only minor interruptions. I hope I can make it through this last sentence without a single interrup-

HI! IT'S ME AGAIN! YIPPEE! WHY IS THIS GUY WRITING SO LONG? I CAN'T EVEN DO A LONG TASK LIKE THAT!

-tion.

6 comments:

  1. Temporary blindness? Whoa. That's heavy. And you're too funny.
    --Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh. I can see how temporary blindness can be heavy. They must have just attached weights to her eyes that were heavy enough to make her temporarily blind. I understand.

    --Simon

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want a monkey. Or at least a puppet monkey. (I've fallen behind in my blog-reading, but I am catching up now.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Definitely. (Also, note that every time I post a comment, I'm asked to prove I'm not a robot. I'm never asked to prove I'm not a puppet. Hmmmmmmmm.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. People just aren't well edumicated enough to know about puppets, so that's why they ask if you're a robot.
    -Simon

    ReplyDelete